Michigan State University Libraries
100 Main Library
East Lansing, MI 48824
Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Box number, Folder number and/or title, Battle Creek Sanitarium Collection, MSS 263, Special Collections, MSU Libraries, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this archive, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
There are no restrictions on the access of this collection.
The collection contains articles, pamphlets, menus, and postcards published by the Battle Creek Sanitarium from 1920-1930. Most of the articles and pamphlets were written by John Harvey Kellogg and were published by the Battle Creek Sanitarium in 1929. The collection is arranged by topic.
The Battle Creek Sanitarium opened in 1866 in Battle Creek, Michigan as the Western Health Reform Institute. The institute was founded on the health principles advocated by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. In 1876, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg became the medical superintendent at the sanitarium. Kellogg changed the institution’s focus from hydrotherapy to medical and surgical treatment. His many innovations included the use of radiation therapy for cancer patients and the invention of flaked cereal.