Amos Adams Lawrence papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains five reels of microfilm consisting of Amos Lawrence's personal and business correspondence, legal papers, accounts, political tickets, newspaper clippings and other papers related to Lawrence's business, political, educational, and charitable interests. Subjects include New England Emigrant Aid Company; slavery; politics and education in Kansas, Wisconsin, and Massachusetts; New England manufacturing, the tariff; and national politics. Correspondents include George S. Boutwell, John Brown, Edward Cooke, Henry J. Gardner, Charles Hale, Edward E. Hale, Henry Lee, Robert M. Mason, S. C. Pomeroy, Charles and Sara T. D. Robinson, George Sumner, and Henry Wilson.
(Michigan State University., Honhart, F. L., Jude, S. P., Howard, S. R., & Zito, A. (1976). A guide to the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections. East Lansing, MI: publisher not identified.)
- 1857 - 1859
- Lawrence, Amos Adams, 1814-1886 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Reproduction and publication restricted, Massachusetts Historical Society.
Biographical / Historical
Amos Adams Lawrence was a Boston merchant, textile manufacturer, and philanthropist.
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 5 reels)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Purchased from the Massachusetts Historical Society.
Location of Originals
Amos Adams Lawrence Papers, Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston St., Boston, MA 02215, USA.
Microfilm. Boston Massachusetts Historical Society, 1967. 5 reels ; 35mm.
- Account books
- Boutwell, George S. (George Sewall), 1818-1905 (Correspondent)
- Brown, John, 1800-1859 (Correspondent)
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Commercial correspondence
- Education -- Massachusetts
- Education -- Wisconsin
- Gardner, Henry J. (Henry Joseph), 1819-1892 (Correspondent)
- Hale, Edward Everett, 1822-1909 (Correspondent)
- Kansas -- Politics and government
- Letters (correspondence)
- Mason, Robert M. (Robert Means), 1810-1879
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- New England Emigrant Aid Company -- Chronological subdivision--1857-1859;
- Pomeroy, S. C. (Samuel Clarke), 1816-1891 (Correspondent)
- Robinson, Charles, 1818-1894 (Correspondent)
- Robinson, Sara T. L. (Sara Tappan Lawrence), 1827-1911 (Correspondent)
- Slavery -- United States
- State universities and colleges -- United States
- Textile industry -- Connecticut
- Textile industry -- Massachusetts
- Textile industry -- New Hampshire
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- United States. Land Grant Act of 1862
- Wilson, Henry, 1812-1875 (Correspondent)
- Wisconsin -- Politics and government
- Amos Adams Lawrence Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Language of description
- Script of description