Francis Wilkinson Pickens and Milledge L. Bonham papers
Scope and Content
This collection consists of microfilm of correspondence, reports, resolutions, military papers, applications for office, administrative papers, petitions, memoranda, newspaper clippings relating to two governors of South Carolina, Francis Wilkinson Pickens and Milledge L. Bonham. The bulk of the papers date from 1860-1864 and relates mainly to their respective governorships and the Civil War. Picken's correspondents include R. C. Barclay, John Forsyth, A. C. Garlington, Robert N. Gourdin, J. W. Hayne, Stephen R. Mallory, M. S. Perry, and L. P. Walker. Bonham's correspondents include P. G. T. Beauregard, Howell Cobb, William H. Echols, J. W. Hayne, H. Pinckney Walker and W. S. Walker.
(Michigan State University., Honhart, F. L., Jude, S. P., Howard, S. R., & Zito, A. (1976). A guide to the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections. East Lansing, MI: publisher not identified.)
Finding aid to the collection in the Library of Congress: http://rs5.loc.gov/service/mss/eadxmlmss/eadpdfmss/2016/ms016029.pdf
- 1837 - 1920
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Reproduction and publication restricted, Library of Congress, Manuscript Division
Milledge L. Bonham (1813-1890) served in the South Carolina House of Representatives (1840-1844), in the U.S. House of Representatives (1857-1860), and as governor of South Carolina (1862-1865).
Francis W. Pickens served in the U.S. House of Representatives (1834-1843) and as governor of South Carolina (1860-1862).
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 2 reels (400 items))
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Purchased from the Manuscript Division, Library of Congress.
Location of Originals
Francis Wilkinson Pickins and Milledge L. Bonham Papers, Library of Congress Manuscript Division, 2nd St. and Independence Ave., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20540, USA
Microfilm. Washington, D.C. : Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, 1967. 2 reels ; 35 mm.
- Barclay, R. C., active 1861 (Correspondent)
- Beauregard, G. T. (Gustave Toutant), 1818-1893 (Correspondent)
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Cobb, Howell, 1815-1868 (Correspondent)
- Confederate States of America
- Echols, William H., -1909 (Correspondent)
- Forsyth, John, 1780-1841 (Correspondent)
- Garlington, A. C. (Albert Creswell), 1822-1885 (Correspondent)
- Gourdin, Robert N., 1812-1894 (Correspondent)
- Hayne, J. W., (South Carolina attorney general) (Correspondent)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Mallory, Stephen R. (Stephen Russell), 1813-1873 (Correspondent)
- Perry, Madison Starke, 1814-1865 (Correspondent)
- South Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- South Carolina -- Politics and government
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- Walker, Henry Pinckney, 1816-approximately 1890 (Correspondent)
- Walker, Leroy Pope, 1817-1884 (Correspondent)
- Walker, W. S. (Confederate army officer) (Correspondent)
- Francis Wilkinson Pickens and Milledge L. Bonham Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.