Skip to main content

Henry Wilson Papers

 Collection
Identifier: LG-33

Scope and Contents

The Henry Wilson papers consist of microfilm containing correspondence and other papers relating to Massachusetts and national politics, education, abolition, the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the Grant administration. Correspondents include William W. Belknap, James A. Briggs, Schuyler Colfax, Joseph Cooper, William Lloyd Garrison, U.S. Grant, Adam Gurowski, Arthur Livermore, George G. Meade, Theodore Parker, Parker Pillsbury, William H. Seward, Gerrit Smith, Edwin M. Stanton, Alexander H. Stephens, E. D. Townsend, Thurlow Weed, and Richard Yates.

(Michigan State University., Honhart, F. L., Jude, S. P., Howard, S. R., & Zito, A. (1976). A guide to the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections. East Lansing, MI: publisher not identified.)

Dates

  • 1851 - 1875

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Reproduction and publication restricted, Library of Congress, Manuscript Division.

Biographical Note

Henry Wilson served as U.S. Senator from Massachusetts (1855-1872), and as vice president (1872-1875) under Ulysses S. Grant. He was active in the anti-slavery movement and in the Free Soil Party. Wilson, an active Lincoln supporter, was chair of the Senate Committee on Military Affairs during the Civil War. He was also instrumental in the establishment of the Freedman's Bureau.

Extent

0.1 Cubic Feet (, 1 reel)

Language of Materials

English

Ownership and Custodial History

Purchased from the Manuscript Division, Library of Congress.

Location of Originals

Henry Wilson Papers, Library of Congress Manuscript Division, 2nd St. and Independence Ave., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20540, USA.

Reproduction Note

Microfilm. Washington, D.C. : Manuscript Division, Library of Congress. 1 reel ; 35 mm.
Title
Henry Wilson Papers
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330