James Murray Mason papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of microfilm containing primarily diplomatic communications sent while Mason was a Confederate commissioner. Papers include correspondence, dispatches, supply lists for the Confederate states from London, statements and depositions regarding piracy and claims. Also the blockade and other naval and maritime matters, cotton bonds and warrants, circulars and printed matter are included.
Correspondents include Judah P. Benjamin, James D. Bulloch, Alexander Collie, Fraser, Tenholm and Company, Henry Hotze, R. M. T. Hunter, Caleb Huse, L. Q. C. Lamar, Ambrose Dudley Mann, James H. North, Charles O'Conor, John Russell Russell, George T. Sinclair, John Slidell (about 100 letters), Society for Promoting the Cessation of Hostilities in American (London), Southern Independence Association (Manchester), James Spence, and General James Williams.
(Michigan State University., Honhart, F. L., Jude, S. P., Howard, S. R., & Zito, A. (1976). A guide to the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections. East Lansing, MI: publisher not identified.)
A finding aid for the original collection at the Library of Congress can be found at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms010229
- 1838 - 1870
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Reproduction and publication restricted, Library of Congress, Manuscript Division.
James Murray Mason served in both the U.S. House and the Senate for the state of Virginia. During the Civil War, he was sent to Great Britain as a diplomatic commissioner for the Confederacy.
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 3 reels (1,300 items))
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Microfilm copy purchased from Library of Congress, Manuscript Division.
Location of Originals
James Murray Mason, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, 2nd St. and Independence Ave., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20540, USA.
Microfilm. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress. 3 reels ; 35 mm.
- Benjamin, J. P. (Judah Philip), 1811-1884 (Correspondent)
- Bulloch, James Dunwody, 1823-1901 (Correspondent)
- Collie, Alexander (Correspondent)
- Confederate States of America
- Confederate States of America -- Claims
- Confederate States of America -- Commerce
- Confederate States of America -- Economic conditions
- Confederate States of America -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain
- Confederate States of America. Navy
- Cotton trade -- Confederate States of America
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations
- Hotze, Henry, 1833-1887 (Correspondent)
- Hunter, R. M. T. (Robert Mercer Taliaferro), 1809-1887 (Correspondent)
- Huse, Caleb, 1831-1905 (Correspondent)
- Lamar, L. Q. C. (Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus), 1825-1893 (Correspondent)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Mann, A. Dudley (Ambrose Dudley), 1801-1889 (Correspondent)
- North, James H. (Correspondent)
- O'Conor, Charles, 1804-1884 (Correspondent)
- Russell, John Russell, Earl, 1792-1878 (Correspondent)
- Sinclair, George T. (Correspondent)
- Slidell, John, 1793-1871 (Correspondent)
- Society for Promoting the Cessation of Hostilities in America (London, England) (Correspondent)
- Southern Independence Association (Correspondent)
- Spence, James, 1811-1876 (Correspondent)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Blockades
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Naval operations
- Williams, James, 1796-1869 (Correspondent)
- James Murray Mason Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description