Department of Entomology records
Scope and Contents
The Entomology Department records consist of correspondence, reports, extension bulletins relating to entomology, and photographs. The correspondence is from members of the faculty and staff about running the department, research, grants, and teaching. The subject files section contains information about running the department, comprehensive review reports, information on the entomology club and Beta Beta Beta. The scrapbook of cyanotypes contains images of various insects, campus buildings and scenes, forestry camp, and people.
The collection also includes annual reports and serials.
- 1887 - 2013
- Michigan State University. Department of Entomology (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Cooperative Extension Service (Publisher, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The first class in entomology was taught in 1859. The classes were taught in the zoology department. The insect collection was started about 1869 by Albert J.Cook. The department of entomology was organized as a separate department in June 1906. In 1909 the department moved into what is now Cook Hall. In 1914, several colonies of bees were installed, which started Michigan State University's apiary. Apiculture was introduced in the spring term of 1918 as a four term option. In 1948 the department moved to the newly completed Natural Science building.
13 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Cook, Albert John, 1842-1916
- Entomology -- Study and teaching
- Guyer, Gordon E. (Gordon Earl)
- Howard, L. O. (Leland Ossian), 1857-1950
- Insect pests -- Control
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State University. Department of Entomology
- Michigan State University. Entomology Club
- Michigan State University. Pesticide Research Center
- Michigan State University. Department of Entomology (Donor, Organization)
- Department of Entomology Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- K. Geske
- November 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US