George Farr autobiography
Scope and Contents
This typed copy of George Farr's autobiography, entitled "My Own Life," tells of his childhood on a small farm in Erie County, New York, and his family's migration to Michigan in the 1850s. It describes farm life and work in rural Michigan in those years. The autobiography is primarily an account of the Civil War and of Farr's war experiences. He served briefly with the 1st Michigan Regiment, and later with the 4th U.S. Artillery. The autobiography gives a clear picture of camp life and describes Farr's part in the battles of 1st Bull Run, Shiloh, Murfreesboro, and the Tullanoma Campaign. It also includes Farr's personal analysis of military leaders and political events. This has been scanned and placed online at http://civilwar.archives.msu.edu/collection/7-1C-23/farr/.
- Farr, George (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 1 folder)
Language of Materials
Gift of Madison Kuhn, 1977-02-28.
Copyright: Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Agriculture -- Michigan
- Bull Run, 1st Battle of, Va., 1861
- Erie County (N.Y.)
- Farr, George
- Michigan -- Description and travel
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862
- Stones River, Battle of, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 1862-1863
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- United States. Army -- Military life -- History -- 19th century
- United States. Army. Artillery
- United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 4th (1864-1866)
- George Farr Autobiography
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- A. Monroe
- June 1977
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.