Skip to main content

St. John's Student Parish publication (c.00193)

 Collection
Identifier: UA-28.8

Scope and Contents

This collection contains a 25th anniversary history of the St. John's (Catholic) Student Parish at Michigan State University written by Joseph L. Druse, Professor Emeritus, Department of Humanities. The history begins with the founding of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in 1940, and the founding of St. John's in 1957. It touches on social, political, and religious issues over the years 1957-1983. This history also contains a list of Parish staff members.

Dates

  • 1983

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

On October 1, 1940 Fr. Cecil Winters became founding pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in East Lansing, which was to have a large focus on the students of Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University).

Fr. Jerome MacEachin (Fr. Mac) succeeded Fr. Winters as pastor. Fr. MacEachin raised funds for a new student parish in 1954. In 1956 ground was broken. Fr. Robert Kavanaugh was assigned as the first pastor of the student parish.

Although Catholics at MSU gathered for worship and social activities prior to 1958, it was in that year that the Lansing Diocese opened St. John Student Parish to serve the Catholic population at Michigan State University.

[Source: http://www.stjohnmsu.org/index.cfm?load=page&page=2]

Extent

0.1 Cubic Feet (, 1 folder )

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

Gift of St. John's Student Parish, 1983-03-08.

Legal Status

Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Title
St. John's Student Parish Publication
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
T. Luitje
Date
March 1983
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330