Charles S. Langdon papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains Langdon's reminiscences, entitled "It Happened Along the Way," collected on his 84th birthday in 1974. Langdon describes his early life, his years as Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University), his church activities, and the various jobs he held. He also discusses farm work over the years, and his travels abroad, especially in Mexico. The reminiscences were collected and edited by Langdon's daughter, Dorothy Langdon Yates.
Also included in the collection is a newspaper clipping regarding the historic Bowen farmhouse in Kentwood, Michigan.
- Langdon, Charles S., 1890-1977 (Person)
- Yates, Dorothy Langdon (Editor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Charles S. Langdon was born in Hubbardston, Michigan on April 29, 1890. He grew up on the family farm and entered Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) as a freshman in 1907. After his graduation in 1911, he taught agriculture at rural schools for Michigan State Normal College. On August 13, 1913, Langdon married Mabel Goolthrite, with whom he had two daughters, Dorothy LaVerne and Louise May. After their marriage, they briefly moved to Bay City, Michigan, where Langdon taught at a high school. They moved back to East Lansing when Langdon was offered the job as editor of the MAC Record. In 1918, the Langdons took over the Goolthrite family farm in Hubbardston. In 1926, he was named one of the first ten Michigan Master Farmers. In addition to farming, Landgon was a member of the county welfare board, director of the Michigan State Farm Bureau, and a State Farm insurance agent for 45 years. His wife, Mabel, died on July 17, 1961. He married Zelma Osgood on January 13, 1962. He died on July 4, 1977.
0.1 Cubic Feet (2 folders)
Language of Materials
Gift of Charles S. Langdon, date unknown.
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Record group changed from c.00224 to UA 10.3.432 to reflect Langdon's connection to Michigan State University. -M. Badgley-Malone, August 2021.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- College students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- East Lansing (Mich.)
- Family farms
- Family histories
- Farm life -- Michigan
- Goolthrite family (Mabel Goolthrite Langdon, 1887-1961)
- Hubbardston (Mich.)
- International travel
- Kentwood (Mich.)
- Langdon family (Charles S. Langdon, 1890-1977)
- Langdon, Charles S., 1890-1977
- Langdon, Mabel Goolthrite, 1887-1961
- Mexico -- Description and travel
- Michigan -- Description and travel
- Michigan -- Religion
- Michigan Agricultural College. Students
- Michigan State University. Alumni and alumnae
- Michigan State University. Class of 1911
- The M.A.C. record
- Langdon, Charles S., 1890-1977 (Donor, Person)
- Charles S. Langdon Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- P. Colgrove
- June 1977
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US