Othniel Gooding papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of Civil War letters from Othniel Gooding of the 4th Michigan Cavalry to his fiancee, Lucy Dexter of Milan, Michigan. The 4th Michigan Cavalry was organized in August 1862, and spent much of the war in Tennessee and Kentucky, in scouting and foraging work. This work brought them into frequent clashes with Confederate forces. Gooding's letters describe life in camp, as well as foraging and scouting expeditions. He also comments on Union leaders such as George Thomas and William Rosecrans, passes on war news and camp rumors, and discusses political news. He reported that the realities of war and soldier's life had worn down his patriotism, and he remained opposed to freeing the slaves.
The collection also includes a booklet, "Col. R.H.G. Minty and the 4th Michigan Cavalry," which describes the regiment's war service.
The letters 1862-65 and the booklet have been transcribed, scanned and placed online at http://civilwar.archives.msu.edu/collection/7-1C-F/gooding/.
- 1862 - 1892
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Othniel Gooding was born about 1835 in New York. Gooding enlisted in Company A, Michigan 4th Cavalry Regiment on August 28, 1862. He was mustered out on July 1, 1865 at Nashville, TN.
He married Lucy Jane Dexter. Gooding died in 1920.
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 3 folders)
Language of Materials
Gift of Chamberlain Memorial Museum, date unknown. Transferred by Michigan State University Museum
Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864
- Bragg, Braxton, 1817-1876
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863
- Chickamauga, Battle of, Ga., 1863
- Hooker, Joseph, 1814-1879
- Letters (correspondence)
- Minty, R. H. G. (Robert Horatio George), 1831-
- Rosecrans, William S. (William Starke), 1819-1898
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 4th (1862-1865)
- Othniel Gooding Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- December 1964
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.