Austin and Foote families papers
Scope and Contents
These papers contain the records of the Austin and Foote families of Milford from 1842 to 1907.
An account book (1852-1866) and household accounts of the Foote family (1840-1878) are included as well as political tickets for Oakland County in the election of 1864. Materials on reunions of the Grand Army of the Republic and Women's Relief Corps (1890s) and articles of the Battle of Chickamauga are also included. The Civil War related materials have been scanned and put online at
The majority of the materials are the correspondence, diaries, class notes and teaching certificates of Hattie Foote Austin, a Milford teacher. These materials deal with personal matters, travel, teaching problems in the 1880s and other subjects. Letters from her cousin George Hodge, describe student life at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Michigan and University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in the 1880s. Business papers of her husband, Andrew V. Austin, mostly dealing with Detroit Telephone Company and Michigan State Telephone Company are included as well.
- 1842 - 1907
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Henry K. and Minera H. Foote moved to Milford, Oakland County, Michigan, from Conesus, New York, in 1834.
0.5 Cubic Feet (, 17 folders)
Language of Materials
Gift of Florence Emeline Foote Porter, date unknown. Transferred by Michigan State University Museum.
Copyright: Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Account books
- Austin, Andrew V.
- Austin, Hattie Foote
- Chickamauga, Battle of, Ga., 1863
- Conesus (N.Y. : Town)
- Eastern Michigan University
- Education, Higher -- Michigan
- Education, Primary -- Michigan
- Education, Secondary -- Michigan
- Foote family (Hattie Foote Austin, 1859-1952)
- Foote, Henry King
- Foote, Minera Henderson
- Grand Army of the Republic
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan -- Politics and government
- Michigan Agricultural College
- Milford (Mich.)
- Oakland County (Mich.)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- University of Michigan
- Woman's Relief Corps (U.S.)
- Austin and Foote Families Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.