Skip to main content

Horace D. Moore papers

 Collection
Identifier: c-00407

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of account books dealing with the various business enterprises of Horace D. Moore. Also included are account books and miscellaneous papers relating to his general store operations, his hotel (the Sherman House), and to his personal and household accounts.

Dates

  • 1856 - 1925
  • Majority of material found within 1856 - 1900

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Biographical Note

Horace D. Moore (1821-1915) was a manufacturer of and dealer in tools and lumber, and general merchant. After a successful business career in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, Moore began (1857) an extensive lumber and manufacturing business in Saugatuck, Michigan. He was involved in this operation until 1875, having cut more than 200 million feet of timber and employed many tugs and vessels for his business.

Moore devoted his remaining years to farming pursuits, to his land investments in Wisconsin and Illinois, and to his properties of various kinds elsewhere. Included are account books and miscellaneous papers relating to his general store operations, his hotel (the Sherman House), and to his personal and household accounts.

Extent

3 Cubic Feet (, 1 folder, 6 volumes in box, 47 volumes on shelf)

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

Gift of Mrs. Earl DeLano, 1962-07-03. Transferred by Michigan State University Museum.

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University

Property Rights: Michigan State University

Title
Horace D. Moore Papers
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
H. Siu
Date
March 1968
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330