Chace Newman papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of personal papers of Chace Newman, including correspondence, newspaper articles, papers he authored, manuscripts, notes, drawings, collected research materials, a scrapbook of events and happenings at the college, and other materials he used to teach courses in mechanical drawing and design. There are also scripts for lectures he gave on WKAR Radio about the architecture of the home. Also include are Ruth Newman photographs which include images that are probably of M.A.C. included a flooded river and bridge, an elk, and children in period dress.
- 1894 - 1951
- Newman, Chace E. (Donor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Chace Newman was an assistant professor of drawing and design in mechanical engineering at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) from 1897 until his retirement in 1939. Newman started his career at M.A.C. as a clerk in the mechanical department in 1892. He was given the title of professor emeritus of engineering drawing upon his retirement. Newman was an active promoter for the founding of East Lansing and served on its first city council in 1907, when it officially became a city. He also drew the first East Lansing city map in 1913. (A photocopied version can be found in the University Archives, MSU Campus Maps, 1879-1930, Drawer 15.) Newman was also a founder and charter member of the Peoples Church in East Lansing. He died on November 2, 1953.
1 Cubic Feet ( also oversized photographs and 1 scrapbook)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Architectural design -- Study and teaching
- Architecture -- Designs and plans
- College buildings -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Course materials
- East Lansing (Mich.) -- History
- Landscape gardening
- Letters (correspondence)
- Mechanical drawing -- Study and teaching
- Michigan Agricultural College
- Michigan State University. Buildings
- Michigan State University. Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty
- WKAR (Radio station : East Lansing, Mich.)
- Chace Newman Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.