Harry H. Kimber papers
Scope and Contents
The Harry Kimber records consist of committee material relating to Michigan State University including the Military Affairs committee, University Publications committee, All College Educational Research Committee, Committee on American Studies Curriculum, Communications Center of Communications and Government Curriculum, Committee on International programs, committees relating to the Basic College, Improvement of Teaching Committee, and teacher education and certification committees. Other committee materials include the Michigan Council of State College Presidents and the Michigan College Association.
The collection also contains material relating to MSU and Vietnam. There are notes, memoranda, and printed materials relating to the May 1957 visit of Ngo Dinh Diem, President of the Republic of Vietnam. The Vietnam materials also contain a copy of the controversial April 1966 issue of Ramparts, featuring Madame Nhu on the cover in an MSU sweater. There are also newspaper clippings about the Ramparts article. Other material includes a folder relating to the stained glass windows of the Alumni Chapel, which includes correspondence and copies of sketches. There are also records relating to the MSU Credit Union.
- 1939 - 1966
- Kimber, Harry Hubert, 1903- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Harry H. Kimber earned his A.B. (1925), M.A. (1927) and Ph.D. (1932) from the University of Michigan. He came to Michigan State College (now Michigan State University) in 1932 as an instructor, then became professor and head of the Department of Civilization in 1944. He became head of the Social Science Division in 1945. From 1964 until 1970, he served as professor and Chairman Emeritus of the Religion Department. He officially retired from MSU in 1971. Kimber served as the chairman of the committee to select themes and suggest designs for the stained glass windows of the Alumni Memorial Chapel. He passed away May 14, 1983.
1.4 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Credit unions -- Michigan
- History -- Study and teaching
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan Council of State College Presidents
- Michigan State University -- General subdivision--Buildings;
- Michigan State University Federal Credit Union
- Michigan State University. All College Educational Research Committee
- Michigan State University. All University Research Committee
- Michigan State University. Alumni Memorial Chapel
- Michigan State University. Basic College
- Michigan State University. Buildings. Bessey Hall
- Michigan State University. Committee on International Programs
- Michigan State University. Military Affairs Committee
- Michigan State University. University Publications Committee
- Minutes (Records)
- Ngô, Đình Diệm, 1901-1963
- Political science -- Study and teaching
- Vietnam -- History
- Vietnam -- Politics and government
- Zarichny, James
- Harry H. Kimber Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.