Skip to main content

Ypsilanti Farmers' Market records

Identifier: c-00569

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of a press kit for the grand opening of the Ypsilanti Farmers' Market in 1979. Included is a brochure describing the market, the location, dates and times. Also included are photographs taken at the farmers' market of vendors and customers; reproductions of photographs of the Michigan Central Railroad depot, grounds and gardens, from the Ypsilanti Historical Museum, ca. 1870 - 1892; and a view of the depot before it was developed into the farmers' market. Some of the photographs have captions used for public relations.


  • Creation: 1979


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

The Freighthouse is a 125-year-old Depot Town landmark in Ypsilanti, built alongside the railroad tracks to handle freight for the Michigan Central Railroad. The City of Ypsilanti purchased the Freighthouse in 1979, and it housed the Ypsilanti Farmer's Market for 25 years.

In 2004, the City closed the Freighthouse, both because their insurers feared the building's collapse and had withdrawn coverage and because the City did not have money to pay for needed capital improvements or ongoing maintenance.


0.1 Cubic Feet (1 folder)

Language of Materials


Legal Status

Copyright: Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.

Property Rights: Michigan State University

Ypsilanti Farmers' Market Records
4 Published And Cataloged
S. Roberts
May 2003
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US