Phi Sigma Society records
Scope and Content
The records of Phi Sigma contain member materials, correspondence, dues information, event announcements and the history of the organization. Correspondence includes letters from the Graduate Research Club inquiring to organizations about becoming an honorary fraternity, information from the national chapter about petitions of other organizations that wished to become Phi Sigma chapters, letters from individuals accepting or declining membership, the publication of The Biologist, and national events.
- 1921 - 1958
- Grigsby, B. H. (Buford Horace), 1909-1994 (Person)
- Phi Sigma Society. Theta Chapter (Michigan Agricultural College) (Organization)
- Phi Sigma Society. Theta Chapter (Michigan State College) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Phi Sigma Society, the biological sciences honor society, was founded at Ohio State University in 1915.
The Theta Chapter at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) was founded in 1921. It had previously been known as the Graduate Research Club. The Theta Chapter restricted membership to graduate students and faculty members who were participating in scientific biology research, although this was not the case for all chapters. The Theta Chapter sponsored discussions about scientific study.
0.6 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Biology -- Societies, etc.
- Graduate students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Greek letter societies -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan Agricultural College. Graduate Research Club
- Phi Sigma Society. Theta Chapter (Michigan Agricultural College)
- Phi Sigma Society. Theta Chapter (Michigan State College)
- Receipts (Acknowledgments)
- Universities and colleges -- Michigan -- East Lansing -- Faculty
- Michigan State University. Department of Botany and Plant Pathology (Donor, Organization)
- Phi Sigma Society Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- D. Palazzola
- February 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.