Burlingame family papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of microfilm containing correspondence and other papers of Anson Burlingame, his wife Jane Cornelia Livermore Burlingame, and their son Edward Livermore Burlingame. Subjects include Anson's service as U.S. minister to China and Edward's editorship at Scribner's. The collection includes memorabilia, diaries, maps, photos, and commissions from President Lincoln. Correspondents include William Cullen Bryant, Richard Henry Dana, John A. Dix, Gustave Dore, George du Maurier, Jessie Benton Fremont, John C. Fremont, Henry James, Rudyard Kipling, Francis Lieber, Horace Mann, Edwin Markham, Thomas Nast, Theodore Parker, Ernest Thompson Seton, William Henry Seward, Charles Sumner, Mark Twain, Edith Wharton, and Owen Wister.
(Michigan State University., Honhart, F. L., Jude, S. P., Howard, S. R., & Zito, A. (1976). A guide to the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections. East Lansing, MI: publisher not identified.)
A revised finding aid (2009) at the Library of Congress for this collection can be found at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms010053
- 1810 - 1922
- Burlingame, Jane Cornelia Livermore (Person)
- Burlingame, Anson, 1820-1870 (Person)
- Burlingame, Edward L. (Edward Livermore), 1848-1922 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Reproduction and publication restricted, Library of Congress, Manuscript Division.
Biographical / Historical
Anson Burlingame (1820-1870) served in the Massachusetts Senate, the U.S. House of Representatives and as U.S. minister to China. Edward Livermore Burlingame (1848-1922), the son of Anson and Jane Burlingame, was a journalist and editor of Scribner's magazine.
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 5 reels of microfilm (550 items))
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Purchased from the Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, 1967.
Location of Originals
Burlingame Family Papers, Library of Congress Manuscript Division, 2nd St. and Independence Ave., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20540, USA.
Microfilm. Washington, D.C. : Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, 1967. 5 reels ; 35 mm.
- American periodicals
- Bryant, William Cullen, 1794-1878 (Correspondent)
- China -- Foreign relations -- 19th century
- China -- Foreign relations -- United States
- Dana, Richard Henry, Jr., 1815-1882 (Correspondent)
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- China
- Dix, John A. (John Adams), 1798-1879 (Correspondent)
- Doré, Gustave, 1832-1883 (Correspondent)
- Du Maurier, George, 1834-1896 (Correspondent)
- Frémont, Jessie Benton, 1824-1902 (Correspondent)
- Frémont, John Charles, 1813-1890 (Correspondent)
- James, Henry, 1843-1916 (Correspondent)
- Kipling, Rudyard, 1865-1936 (Correspondent)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Lieber, Francis, 1800-1872 (Correspondent)
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- Mann, Horace, 1796-1859 (Correspondent)
- Markham, Edwin, 1852-1940 (Correspondent)
- Nast, Thomas, 1840-1902 (Correspondent)
- Parker, Theodore, 1810-1860 (Correspondent)
- Seton, Ernest Thompson, 1860-1946 (Correspondent)
- Seward, William H. (William Henry), 1801-1872 (Correspondent)
- Sumner, Charles, 1811-1874 (Correspondent)
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910 (Correspondent)
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 19th century
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 20th century
- United States -- Foreign relations -- China
- Wharton, Edith, 1862-1937 (Correspondent)
- Wister, Owen, 1860-1938 (Correspondent)
- Burlingame Family Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.