MSU HealthTeam records
Scope and Contents
The early records document the major projects taken on by the Institute of Biology and Medicine in fulfilling its objectives. Those were the establishment of the College of Human Medicine, the construction of the Life Science Building I, the construction of the Encapsulated Health Care Facility (a project which failed after considerable effort), the construction of the Clinical Sciences building, and the establishment of the College of Osteopathic Medicine. The material is best described as project files with supporting research files. It is not, strictly speaking, documentation of the day to day functioning of the Institute, but it is detailed documentation of the individual projects. Consequently, series are established by project and arranged alphabetically. The reference files for research on two-year medical programs in the United States, which consist of materials collected on visits to institutions with such programs, are grouped as one series due to their bulk and indirect relationship to the establishment of such a program at Michigan State University.
Blueprints and copies from various construction and renovation projects related to health education have been separated into a series and have restricted access.
Subsequent records are arranged by subject and include many of the day to day functions of the MSU HealthTeam.
- 1947 - 2011
- Michigan State University. Health Programs (Organization)
- Michigan State University. MSU HealthTeam/Faculty Group Practice (Organization)
- Michigan State University. MSU HealthTeam (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Some materials are restricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Institute of Biology and Medicine was established in 1961 and Richard Byerrum, an Assistant Provost, was appointed as acting director. William Knisley was took over as director in 1963. The Institute was "charged with the responsibility of coordinating and integrating biological and medical curriculums and research, and commence initial planning of a two-year preclinical program in human medicine." Dr. Andrew D. Hunt, Jr. was appointed the first Dean of the College of Human Medicine in 1964. The College of Osteopathic Medicine was established in 1970 with Dr. Myron Magen appointed as the first Dean. With the successful launching of both medical schools and the completion of the Life Sciences I Building in 1971, the Institute was terminated in 1973 on the recommendation of the Provost. Two positions were then created: an Assistant Provost for Health Programs and an Assistant Coordinator for Health Programs. Thus, the Office for Health Programs was created.
In 1976, the Clinical Center opened which offered medical students experience in primary care and specialized care. The Health Services Programs, co-directed by the Deans of the College of Human Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine and the College of Nursing, also included the University Health Center which jointly reported to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services. The Office of Health Services administered the Health Services Programs, the Clinical Center and the University Health Center.
In 1980, the Office for Health Programs and the Health Services Program merged under the new name Health Services and Facilities. This new entity reported to the Vice Provost for Finance and included the administration of the Clinical Center and Olin Health Center. The Veterinary Clinical Center and the Animal Health Diagnostics Laboratory were added in 1982. In 1984, this unit became a separate academic organization. In 1989, the entity became known as Human Health Programs and included both human medical colleges, human health-related centers, committees, and institutes, while the Veterinary Clinical Center and AHDL were separated.
In 1991, the College of Human Medicine established MSU Faculty Group Practice which by 1996 had been renamed MSU HealthTeam and was administered by the Deans of the College of Human Medicine, Ostepathic Medicine, Nursing and the Chair of the Clinicians Council and the Board Chair of MSU HealthTeam. In 2001, Olin Health Center was added as well.
By 2009, the Office of Human Health Affairs included the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, College of Human Medicine, College of Nursing, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MSU HealthTeam, and Olin Health Center which are all jointly administered units.
On August 31, 2018, the Board of Trustees voted to replace the MSU HealthTeam with a new entity, Michigan State University Health Care.
22.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
(1) DEVELOPMENT OF THE INSTITUTE OF BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 1.25 cubic feet, 1957-1973
This series documents the establishment of the Institute and of medical education programs at Michigan State University. The Institute was conceived as the first step in the process of establishing a medical school at the university. Record types include correspondence, memos, reports arranged by subject. There is overlap of subject material between this series and the next since the boundary between where one begins and ends is not defined.
(2) DEVELOPMENT OF THE COLLEGE OF HUMAN MEDICINE. 1.75 cubic feet, 1947-1972
This series documents the history of the establishment of the College of Human Medicine and the development of its administrative structure and initial programs. Folders include historical reference files developed by the Institute of Biology and Medicine to document the evolution of medical education at MSU and include a chronology of events. Other folders include correspondence, budget information, vitas and letters of support for prospective faculty, reports, and other records documenting community outreach programs. It is arranged by subject.
(3) LIFE SCIENCE BUILDING I CONSTRUCTION. 2.75 cubic feet, 1961–1973
This series documents the entire process of construction of the medical school’s physical plant. Includes summary of educational and research programs to be housed in the complex, reports on the function and scope of the building, administrative files, memos, meeting notes, supporting documents for grant applications, general and specific correspondence, grant applications, building specifications, site visit reports, and photographs. It is arranged by subject.
(4) ENCAPSULATED HEALTH CARE FACILITY. 1.0 cubic feet, 1964-1972
Documentation for this series is similar to that of the Life Sciences Building series though there is more reference and publicity material. This is because the concept of an “encapsulated” building was very new and rather controversial. (The technique is that of fitting pre-built “capsules” meeting specific design functions onto a core.) Initial funding fell through when the university could not come up with matching funds to complete the project. Correspondence, reference files, drawings, grant materials, clippings, and photographs are arranged by subject.
(5) REFERENCE FILES. 0.75 cubic feet, 1956-1970
This series is contains reference files from site visits to medical schools by the acting director of the medical school, R. U. Byerrum. Byerrum was charged with researching two-year medical programs with the idea that this would be the route MSU could take to enter the field of medical education. Records include correspondence, reports on trips, and materials from other universities. Folders are arranged by subject.
(6) CLINICAL SCIENCES BUILDING. 1.0 cubic feet, 1969-1979
Similar in content to series 1 and 2, this series documents the development of the Clinical Sciences Building. This project was unique in that the building was intended for the operation of a medical school (the College of Human Medicine) and an osteopathic medical school (the College of Osteopathic Medicine) in a single university setting.
(7) DEVELOPMENT OF THE COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE. 2.0 cubic feet, 1961-1979
This series documents the history of the establishment of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, the first at a public university, and the development of its administrative function and initial programs. Folders include accreditation documentation, agreements with hospitals, budget information, clippings, and other administrative documentation.
(8) BLUEPRINTS (Restricted). 1.0 cubic feet, 1959–1973
Blue prints and copies from construction projects (actual and proposed) for the Chemistry Building, Clinical Laboratories, Fee Hall, Giltner Hall, Human Biology Laboratories, Life Sciences Buildings I and II, and the Pontiac site.
(9) SUBJECT FILES. 10.5 cubic feet, 1951-2011
This series contains folders arranged by subject and include smaller projects as well as administrative records. Projects included in this series are the Blood Cholinesterase Program (1967), Center for Laboratory Animal Research (CLAR) (1967–1975), Human Biology Laboratories Project (1966–1971), Pesticide Research (1966–1970), Colloquy on Human Sexuality (Winter Term 1969), and Solid Waste Disposal (1967–1970). Other records include APP&R (1989–1992), accreditation reports (1964–1978, incomplete), annual reports and evaluations (1969–1980), board committee meeting materials (1973–1980), budget information (1972–1973), college and school bylaws (1972–1980), correspondence (1969–1975), director’s meetings (1977–1979), Fee Hall conversion (1971–1974), Forensic Science (1867–1973), Giltner Hall renovation (1964–1969), Health Care Authority (1972–1979), Olin Health Center (1965-1970), speeches (1968–1975), and staff meetings (1972–1975). Note: Unsorted folders are listed at end.
Records were transferred from the Office for Health Programs and MSU HealthTeam.
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Hunt, Andrew D., 1915-
- Letters (correspondence)
- Medical colleges -- Curricula
- Medical colleges -- Design and construction
- Medical colleges -- Michigan -- History
- Medical education -- United States
- Medicine -- Study and teaching
- Michigan State University. Buildings. Clinical Center
- Michigan State University. College of Human Medicine
- Michigan State University. College of Nursing
- Michigan State University. College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Michigan State University. Faculty Group Practice
- Michigan State University. MSU HealthTeam
- Michigan State University. Office for Health Programs
- Michigan State University. Olin Health Center
- Osteopathic medicine
- Press releases
- Michigan State University. Institute of Biology and Medicine (Organization)
- MSU HealthTeam Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- M. Bevins
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US