College of Engineering records
Scope and Contents
The records of the Engineering College includes material relating to World War I training including the Student Army Training Corps, course information, Committee on Education and Special Training, information on armored vehicles, as well as correspondence.
Other records in the collection include surveys and studies of engineering students, alumni information, minutes of faculty meetings for 1967 to 1975, brochures about the college, reports about the college, and a 1960 proposal to the National Science Foundation for research facilities.
Photographs relating to the Engineering Building and Shops as well as classes and student organizations can be found in the general MSU Photograph Collection.
Also includes are bound volumes of the Spartan Engineer (Serial 652) for 1948-1952, 1954-1961, as well as other College of Engineering serials and published and unpublished annual reports from 1908-1998.
The Electronic Resources includes correspondence in the form of an e-mail memo and attachment.
- 1913 - 2017
- Michigan State University. College of Engineering (Donor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Engineering College was founded in 1907 as the Engineering Division to teach mechanics as it related to agriculture. As the division expanded, an attempt was made (1916) to move the engineering division to Ann Arbor. With the financial backing of R. E. Olds, an engineering building was constructed, and all attempts to move the division collapsed. In 1944 the name was changed to the Engineering school, and in 1955 was renamed again as the Engineering College.
2 Cubic Feet (plus 9 volumes)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Bissell, G. W. (George Welton), 1866-
- Electronic mail messages
- Engineering -- Study and teaching
- Laboratories -- Design and construction
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State University. Buildings
- Michigan State University. Centennial celebrations, etc
- Michigan State University. College of Engineering
- Military education -- United States
- Spartan engineer
- Universities and colleges -- Curricula
- World War, 1914-1918
- College of Engineering Records
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.