Russell G. Hill collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains essays, many of which Russell Hill presented at various conferences dealing with land use and soil retention. The essays are about environmentally sound agricultural practices. Also included in the collection are two publications written by Hill: History -- Department of Resource Development and Land Stewardship.
- 1961 - 1976
- Hill, Russell G. (Donor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Russell G. Hill was born November 26, 1909 in Trufant, Michigan. He attended Michigan State College (now Michigan State University) from 1928 to 1932 and earned his B.S. in agriculture with honors. Hill later earned his M.S., also from Michigan State.
Hill taught vocational agriculture in Caro, Michigan from 1932 to 1936. Hill joined the extension service in 1936 and held a variety of posts and eventually became a specialist in soil conservation. Hill joined the faculty in the Department of Resource Development in College of Agriculture at Michigan State. He retired in 1975.
Hill was a member of Epsilon Sigma Phi. He received the USDA Superior Service award in 1962 for his commitment to conservation in Michigan. He also held the posts of Executive Secretary of the Michigan State Soil Conservation Committee and Vice President of the National Association of State Soil Conservation Administrators.
Hill and his wife Reva had two children, James W. and Jeanette C.
0.25 Cubic Feet (, 5 folders)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Land use -- Michigan
- Michigan State University. Cooperative Extension Service
- Michigan State University. Department of Resource Development -- General subdivision--History;
- Natural resources -- Study and teaching
- Nature conservation -- Michigan
- Soil conservation -- Michigan
- United States. Soil Conservation Service
- Water conservation
- Russell G. Hill Collection
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- D. Palazzola
- February 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.