Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity records
Scope and Contents
The collection currently consists of the Admission Prospectus for the local Beta Sigma Alpha fraternity to the national Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity.
- circa 1922
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The original name of the local fraternity that became the Tau Chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho was Beta Sigma Alpha Fraternity, and had its beginnings on December 5, 1921. Mr. E. B. Hill, Assistant to the Dean of Agriculture at Michigan Agricultural College, and Mr. H. F. Wilson, Field Secretary of the Alpha Gamma Rho, selected seven students of agriculture as a nucleus of a new fraternity. Immediately, this group began laying plans for the organization with the intention of eventually having a MAC chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho established. Guidance in organizing the fraternity was received from two Alpha Gamma Rho alumni at the college: Coach A. M. Barron, Gamma Chapter, and Dr. Paul Harmer, Lambda Chapter. Under their guidance, Beta Sigma Alpha quickly grew to a membership of fifteen students whose aims were directed exclusively toward agricultural pursuits.
The Alpha Gamma Rho social fraternity was established nationally in 1904 and the Tau Chapter at Michigan State University was established in 1922. Alpha Gamma Rho (AGR) is a professional-social fraternity for young men pursuing careers in food, fiber, or life sciences industry, any student in the College of Agriculture or Natural Resources, or a related major.
The fraternity house is located at 432 Evergreen Avenue in East Lansing. [Source: Tau Chapter web site]
0.1 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University
Property Rights: Michigan State University
- Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- S. Roberts
- November 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US