Sigma Chi Fraternity, Gamma Psi Chapter records
Scope and Content
The records consist of a constitution and statute law for all the chapters of the Beta Kappa fraternity and several issues of the Spartan Sig newsletter (1989-1991). The constitution is not dated but was adopted in 1935.
- 1989-1991, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Gamma Psi Chapter of the Sigma Chi Fraternity at Michigan State University traces its origin from the Phylean Literary Society formed in 1910 and the Trimoira Literary Society formed in 1913.
In 1936, these two societies merged to become known briefly as the Tri Phi Society. They petitioned Beta Kappa to become the Alpha Pi Chapter and occupied the Phylean House at 729 E. Grand River Avenue.
In 1942, Beta Kappa merged with the Beta Chi Fraternity, a local fraternity, which was then chartered as the Gammi Psi Chapter of Sigma Chi and remained at the house at 729 E. Grand River Avenue.
At the 1948 Grand Chapter meeting, the fraternity had its first election of an official International Sweetheart of Sigma Chi. Michigan State's Barbara Tanner was selected from six finalists. The event made the front page of newspapers across the country.
Today, Sigma Chi is still located at 729 E. Grand River Avenue, the location of the Phylean Literary Society house, although the Gamma Psi Chapter was suspended in 2017 by the national organization.
0.1 Cubic Feet (3 folders)
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Beta Chi Fraternity. Michigan State College Chapter
- Beta Kappa Fraternity. Alpha Phi Chapter (Michigan State College)
- College students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- College students -- Societies and clubs
- Greek letter societies
- Greek letter societies -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Michigan State College. Phylean Literary Society
- Michigan State College. Students. Societies, etc
- Michigan State College. Tri Phi Society
- Michigan State College. Trimoira Literary Society
- Sigma Chi Fraternity. Gamma Psi Chapter (Michigan State University)
- Sigma Chi Fraternity Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- S. Roberts
- November 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.