Argentina Project (Balcarce) records
Scope and Contents
Records of the Argentina Project (Balcarce) consist of official reports and staff reports, personal and official staff correspondence, and preliminary studies and drafts of the project. Also included are financial and funding records, administrative records, and information on Argentina and agriculture.
- 1957 - 1975
- Michigan State University. Argentina Project (Balcarce) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Some of the materials are in Spanish.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Argentina Project (Balcarce) was undertaken by Michigan State University in conjunction with the Agency for International Development (AID), the National Development Council (NDC) of Argentina, the National Institute of Agricultural Technology (INTA) of Argentina, and the Catholic University of Mar del Plata (UCMP). Its purpose was to strengthen the agricultural college at Balcarce and to institute principles and practices common to land grant institutions, such as Michigan State University.
The project had its beginnings in 1963 with the visit and report of the pre-contract survey team. In February 1965 a contract for the project was signed with USAID. Shortly thereafter, an economic analysis and feasibility study was made and by January 1966 the first MSU personnel had arrived on the scene. From that date until December 1970, hampered as it was by financial, political, and cultural problems, the project went on, ultimately involving twenty-one long- and short-term advisors.
6 Cubic Feet
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Agricultural education -- Argentina
- Agriculture -- Argentina
- Balcarce (Argentina : Partido)
- Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Agropecuaria (Argentina)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Public universities and colleges -- Argentina
- United States. Agency for International Development
- Michigan State University. International Programs (Donor, Organization)
- Combs, William H. (Donor, Person)
- Argentina Project (Balcarce) Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US