Skip to main content

Oakland University records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-22.11

Scope and Contents

The records consist of annual reports, enrollment reports, budgets, budget requests, financial information, catalogs, bulletins, and pamphlets on courses and summer school. The records are limited and for most instances there is only one date for each type of document.

The collection includes serial #148 (Charter and Ascendant) and unpublished annual reports for 1959-1969.

Dates

  • 1958 - 1972

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

Oakland University was created in 1957 when Alfred and Matilda Wilson of Meadowbrook, Michigan donated $2 million and their 1,500-acre estate to Michigan State University for a new college in Oakland County. Their bequest was combined with the land donated by Sarah Van Hoosen and property purchased by MSU.

In 1958, Michigan State University-Oakland, a four year undergraduate institution, enrolled its first students.

In 1963, the name changed to Oakland University. In 1970, the Michigan legislature recognized Oakland University and granted it autonomy with the governor of Michigan appointing the first Board of Trustees.

Extent

1.4 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Legal Status

Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Creator

Title
Oakland University Records
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330