Michigan State University 1970 Student Strike records
Scope and Contents
The records consist of materials related to student demonstrations and strikes in May 1970. Topics of the protests included ROTC, and the war in Vietnam. Materials include newspaper clippings, copies of student flyers, as well as press releases. There are also copies of typewritten notes of timeline of events, damage to buildings, and class attendance. There is also a flyer about Bobby Seale in the Bulletins and Announcements folder.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
In May 1970, Michigan State University students upset by the war in Vietnam, the Kent State University shootings, and Jackson State University shootings began to call for a student strike. Students called for protests, suspension of classes, as well as seminars on the issues.
0.25 Cubic Feet (9 folders)
Language of Materials
These records were originally transferred by the Music Department but the archivist could find no association with the music department. The materials were separated in order to make them more accessible.
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- College students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Michigan State University. Student strike (1970)
- Michigan State University. Students
- Press releases
- Seale, Bobby, 1936-
- Student movements -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Student protesters -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Student strikes
- Student strikes -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- 1970 Student Strike Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- S. Roberts
- May 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.