Track and Field (Sports Information Office) records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a photocopy of “Spartan Thinclad News” from April 1937, a program for the inaugural meet of the new track on campus. It gives a history of track at Michigan State as well as the program for the dedication of the track. The collection also includes programs for Big Ten Indoor track meets, a Big Ten outdoor meet, as well a program for the State Journal Spartan relays, an indoor high school meet.
- 1937 - 1983
- Michigan State University. Sports Information Office (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Michigan State University Track can trace its roots to the intercollegiate field day competitions held during the 1880s. In 1888, Michigan Agricultural College (M.A.C.), as MSU was then known, became a member of the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association where it dominated the annual field day events winning 15 championships in 20 years. A student assumed the duties of track coach in 1898; the following year a non-student coach was hired. In 1908, M.A.C. competed in the Big Ten Track Championships in certain events and continued to compete against Big Ten institutions after joining the conference in 1950.
0.1 Cubic Feet (4 folders)
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Track (Sports Information Office) Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- E. Geahan
- June 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US