Public Relations records
Scope and Contents
The Public Relations office records consist of subject files relating to campus, photographs, video recordings, annual reports, negatives and electronic resources. Topics of the subject files concern motion pictures, the MSU Centennial, magazine articles, conferences and workshops and many others. The photographs in the collection include images of conferences and workshops on campus, people, buildings, campus life, commencement, student activities and organizations, student awards, student beauty queens, faculty, the university emblem, the theatre department, television broadcasting, the veterinary medicine department, the zoology department, the Vietnam Project, and images from the yearbooks. The collection also contains one videotape (#3) which contains two films: "MSU Network Halftime" (1983), and "MSC Goes to War for Peace" (1940s). The latter was copied from film #59.
- 1943 - 2004
- Michigan State University. Public Relations (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Museum (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Department of Information Services (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Department of Journalism and Publications (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Publications Department (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Since it began operation in 1943, the Public Relations office reported to the Vice President for University Relations. It has also been known as Publications (1943-1945) and Information Services (1950-1981). The unit was preceded by the Journalism and Publications Department (1930-1943). Since 1981, it has administered several information departments and the Photo Editor. In 2012, the division was renamed Communications and Brand Strategy and handles university marketing, communications and advertising, media and public relations, photography and videography, web and social networks.
5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Preservica Internal URL
Preservica Public URL
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- College buildings
- College campuses
- College students
- Conference materials
- Hannah, John A., 1902-1991
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan Agricultural College
- Michigan State College
- Michigan State University
- Michigan State University. Centennial celebrations, etc
- Press releases
- Video recordings
- Video tapes
- Women -- Education (Higher) -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Women in higher education
- Public Relations Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.