Department of Dairy Science records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a variety of records relating to the Dairy Department at Michigan State University. Included are pamphlets and information handouts on various dairy subjects. Also included are records of the Michigan Artificial Breeders Cooperative, Inc. and the Michigan Dairy Herd Improvement Association. There are also scrapbooks showing Dairy Department events as well as folders of photographs.
- 1921 - 1999
- Michigan State University. Department of Dairy Science (Donor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The first short course in dairying at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) was held in the winter of 1893-1894. Dairying was first taught in the basement rooms of the old Agricultural Laboratory. By 1900 dairy work had outgrown the basement space and a new dairy building was erected. The Dairy Department, created in 1910, used the basement and the first floor and the Forestry Department used the second floor. (This building is now known as Chittenden Hall.) In 1913 another dairy building was constructed which was devoted entirely to dairy manufacturing. This building consequently became the Soil Sciences building and was demolished in 1987. In 1955 Anthony Hall was constructed. The Dairy Science Department was merged into the Animal Sciences Department in 1981. Today Anthony Hall houses the MSU Dairy Store and includes the facility where cheese and ice cream are made.
1.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Animal science newsletter
- Annual reports
- Dairy farming -- Research
- Dairy farming -- Study and teaching
- Michigan Artificial Breeders Cooperative
- Michigan DHIA
- Michigan State College. Department of Dairy
- Midwestern Milk Marketing Conference
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty
- Universities and colleges -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Department of Dairy Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.