Skip to main content

Department of Dairy Science records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-16.37

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of a variety of records relating to the Dairy Department at Michigan State University. Included are pamphlets and information handouts on various dairy subjects. Also included are records of the Michigan Artificial Breeders Cooperative, Inc. and the Michigan Dairy Herd Improvement Association. There are also scrapbooks showing Dairy Department events as well as folders of photographs.


  • Creation: 1921 - 1999


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

The first short course in dairying at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) was held in the winter of 1893-1894. Dairying was first taught in the basement rooms of the old Agricultural Laboratory. By 1900 dairy work had outgrown the basement space and a new dairy building was erected. The Dairy Department, created in 1910, used the basement and the first floor and the Forestry Department used the second floor. (This building is now known as Chittenden Hall.) In 1913 another dairy building was constructed which was devoted entirely to dairy manufacturing. This building consequently became the Soil Sciences building and was demolished in 1987. In 1955 Anthony Hall was constructed. The Dairy Science Department was merged into the Animal Sciences Department in 1981. Today Anthony Hall houses the MSU Dairy Store and includes the facility where cheese and ice cream are made.


1.5 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials


Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University.

Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Department of Dairy Records
4 Published And Cataloged
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US