Department of Geography records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of annual reports, publications, event brochures, course descriptions, and undergraduate handbooks. Of note are the annual reports and undergraduate handbooks. The reports contain information on departmental activities, curriculum, staff changes, enrollment, research, publications, and faculty activities. The handbooks contain information on geography at MSU, course offerings, specialization policies, facilities, career guidance, faculty lists and faculty vitae.
- 1957 - 2008
- Michigan State University. Department of Geography (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
On June 17, 1955 the Department of Agriculture approved the separation of the Department of Geology and Geography into 2 departments. The Department of Geography was assigned to the Division of Social Science and Arts and the Department of Geology to remain in the Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences. This included the transfer of Lawrence M. Sommers as the department head and 5 other professors.
The Department of Geography is one of 12 degree-granting units in the College of Social Science. Housed in the Geography Building, faculty and student research centers on such topics as people-environment relationships, climate, geographic information science, soils-geomorphology, urban structure, and global change. The spatial extent of these research interests range from local to global in such places as Kenya, Brazil, the Great Lakes, China, and Michigan.
0.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University
Property Rights: Michigan State University
- Department of Geography Records
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US