Vice President for University Relations records
Scope and Contents
The collection is divided into series.
Series 1. Office of the Director of University Relations
The records consist of annual reports (1948-1968), and subject files on events, people, and achievements associated with the university, (1950-1970).
Series 2. James Denison James Denison’s papers as director of the department contain correspondence and subject files on various prominent and controversial topics including, Ramparts magazine, SDS, communism, and racial discrimination. Other topics include ROTC and the MSU Men’s Club.
Series 3. Subject Files These files deal with various University media responses to events and people on campus during the most violent period of student protests. Series 4. Photographs The collection contains photographs, including President Hannah giving speeches and visiting Okinawa. Also, there are images from the U.S. Bicentennial celebrations on campus, Pewabic Pottery, and United States Commission on Civil Rights hearings.
Series 5. Annual Reports Includes published and unpublished annual reports.
Series 6. Serials
Series 7. Electronic Resources Electronic Resources include correspondence in the form of e-mail memos and attachments, and photos and logos from the 2004 Michigan State University Sesquicentennial Press Conference.
Series 8. Audiovisual Materials
- 1948 - 2016
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The office was formally established in 1970. Prior to this, the unit was known as the Special Assistant to the President for Public Relations (1948-1959), and Assistant to the President and Director of University Relations (1959-1969). In 2012, the unit was renamed Communications and Brand Strategy.
8 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Preservica Public URL
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Anti-war demonstrations
- Art -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- College students
- College students -- Political activity -- Michigan
- Denison, James Henry, 1907-1975
- Hannah, John A., 1902-1991
- Michigan State University. Cowles House Society
- Michigan State University. Department of Military Science/ROTC
- Michigan State University. Vice President for University Relations
- Nonfiction films
- Sound recordings
- Student movements
- Student strikes
- Students and war
- Universities and colleges -- Public relations
- Wharton, Clifton R., 1926-
- Women's rights.
- Michigan State University. Vice President for University Relations (Donor, Organization)
- Vice President for University Relations Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.