Department of Animal Science records
Scope and Contents
The MSU Livestock judging team records include information on the various contests, scores, press releases and photographs. The Farmers’ Week records include planning records such as room reservations for sessions, exhibitor information, correspondence, and newspaper clippings. The Michigan Sheep Breeders Association records includes financial information, bred ewe sales, Michigan Make It Yourself With Wool contest, and ram truck and ram day sales. The Administrative files contain course information from Harlan Ritchie, records about the departments of sheep and cattle, including Polled Herefords and Angus, and research including hormones for sheep, as well as other department related files. The Northern Beef Demonstration Center records consist of correspondence, meeting minutes, progress reports and Upper Great Lakes Regional Commission records. The subject files include materials about livestock production, a swine project, a test bull project, and lamb pools.
Photographs include sheep, demonstrations on farms, farm scenes, cattle, people, Farmers’ Week, MSU Livestock Judging team, MSU beef cattle and the Michigan Sheep Breeders Association ram truck. There are also photographs of flocks entered in the Wolverine Lamb Production Contest and exhibits of the winners.
Electronic Resources include nomination documents for induction into the Sirloin and Saddle Portrait Gallery for Ronald Nelson (1990), Harlan Ritchie (1994), and David Hawkins (2013).
- 1915 - 2006
- Majority of material found within 1915 - 1975
- Michigan State University. Department of Animal Science (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Animal science classes have been taught at Michigan State University since the 1850s. The first short course was taught in 1896. A separate department was started in 1910 and called Animal Husbandry. In 1931, a new breeding cattle barn, experimental feeding barn, sheep feeding barn, bull barn, and meat laboratory were completed. In 1939, the livestock pavilion on Shaw Lane was finished. In 1981, the name of the department changed to Animal Science.
18.1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Preservica Public URL
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Beef Project NC-1 (Project)
- Beef cattle
- Course materials
- Dairy cattle
- Farmers' Week (East Lansing, Mich.)
- Future Farmers of America
- Livestock -- Judging
- Livestock -- Study and teaching
- Michigan Sheep Breeders Association
- Michigan State University. Cooperative Extension Service -- Officials and employees
- Michigan State University. Department of Animal Science
- Michigan State University. Department of Dairy Science
- Michigan State University. Department of Poultry Science
- Minutes (administrative records)
- Mumford, F. B. (Frederick Blackmar), 1868-1947
- Northern Beef Demonstration Center
- Poultry -- Study and teaching
- Ritchie, Harlan D.
- Saddle and Sirloin Club
- Upper Great Lakes Regional Commission (U.S.)
- Michigan State University. Department of Animal Science (Donor, Organization)
- Department of Animal Science Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.