Major Allison K. Thomas collection
Scope and Contents
The Allison K. Thomas collection contains photographs, correspondence, books, magazines, and articles. Thomas served in Vietnam with Ho Chi Minh and helped the fight against the Japanese. The materials include correspondence from Giap, articles about Thomas, Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh, photographs of Thomas in Vietnam, excerpts from Thomas, diaries, copy of Thomas' report on Deer Mission, and photographs of Thomas' return to Vietnam in the 1990s.
- 1945-1997, 2001-2011, undated
- Võ, Nguyên Giáp, 1911-2013 (Correspondent, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Allison (Al) Kent Thomas was born on September 21, 1914 in Lansing, Michigan. In July 1945, as an Officer of the Strategic Service, he led Deer Team. The team parachuted into Ho Chi Minh's camp in French Indochina to help General Giap and Ho train insurgents to fight the occupying Japanese army.
After the war Thomas returned to Lansing and became an attorney. In 1995, he returned to Vietnam and visited with General Giap as part of a Ford Foundation project to repair relations with Vietnam.
Al Thomas passed away May 7, 2005.
2 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Hồ, Chí Minh, 1890-1969
- Intelligence officers -- United States
- Letters (correspondence)
- Photograph albums
- United States. Office of Strategic Services
- Vietnam -- History
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- United States
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- Vietnam
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements -- Vietnam
- Major Allison K. Thomas Collection
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- August 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.