John A. Holden collection
Scope and Contents
The John A. Holden collection contains photographs relating to Holden's time at Michigan Agricultural College. The collection includes photos of teams of football, baseball, and basketball as well as individuals and action shots. There are also photographs of the 1911 vs 1912 class rivalry. Other images include a group photo of the class of 1911, faculty row, a room "stacked" as prank, and hall decorated for the JHop. There are also photographs of an Aurorean Society party which the 1912 yearbook describes as a "Pow Wow." The photos show the decorated hall, and people dressed up as cowboys and "Indians" next to teepees. There is also a photograph of the Aurorean society banquet. (The Aurorean Society's name was eventually changed to Delta Sigma Phi) The collection also contains images of military training including cadets drilling, a group portraits, the parade ground and spectators. The collection also includes photos of people including three unidentified students with shaved heads; R.E. Brightup and Burt Kieth in a dorm room in Williams Hall, and students Lossing, Dorian, Applin, and Ray Edwards posing in the grass.
- 1908 - 1912
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
John Arthur Holden, of Elberta, Michigan graduated from Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) in 1912 with a B.S. degree in Engineering. He was a member of the Glee Club, Aurorean Society and MSC Association (a student group organized by the engineers of the class of 1912 which sought to have the college's name changed). He also played class baseball. As of 1931 he was a fruit grower in Indiana.
0.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity. Alpha Pi Chapter (Michigan State University)
- Michigan Agricultural College. Class rivalry
- Michigan Agricultural College. Students
- Michigan State University. Athletics. Baseball
- Michigan State University. Class of 1912
- Michigan State University. Football
- Michigan State University. Junior Hop
- Michigan State University. Sports. Basketball
- Michigan State University. Students. Societies, etc
- Military education -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Students -- Societies, etc.
- United States. Army. Reserve Officers' Training Corps
- John A. Holden Collection
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- J. Makowski
- July 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.