Michigan Psychiatric Society records
Scope and Content
The records of the Michigan Psychiatric Society consist of membership directories, newsletters, meeting minutes, constitution and bylaws, publications, compiled histories of the organization, a scrapbook, regional mental health material, and national organization material. Also included are books about state asylums in Michigan, a book on the Medical History of Michigan, and the Primer of Psychology and Mental Disease published by the Oak Grove Hospital, Flint.
- 1908 - 1995
- Michigan Psychiatric Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
A state medical specialty society founded on November 19, 1908, the Detroit Society of Neurology and Psychiatry met with the first meeting held at the Detroit Club and would serve as the voice of psychiatry in Michigan for more than a century. The society was formed from the idea of four men: Drs. Edmund A. Christian, Albert M. Barrett, Colonel Bell Burr, and David Inglis.
In 1939, the name was changed to the Michigan Society of Neurology and Psychiatry and changed again in 1964 to the Michigan Society of Psychiatry and Neurology. The last name change occurred in 1971 to the Michigan Psychiatric Society.
7.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- American Medical Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan Psychiatric Society
- Minutes (Records)
- Programs (Publications)
- Psychiatric hospitals
- Psychiatry -- Societies, etc.
- Michigan Psychiatric Society Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Jennie Russell
- October 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US