Beatrice Paolucci papers
Scope and Contents
The Beatrice Paolucci papers include materials created by Paolucci during her tenure at Michigan State University, her published and unpublished manuscripts, her work on international projects, and personal records.
- 1958 - 2005
- Paolucci, Beatrice (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Beatrice Paolucci was born August 13, 1920 in Illinois. Paolucci held a Bachelor’s degree in Home Economics from Illinois Wesleyan University, a Master’s degree in Family Life from Columbia University, and a Doctorate in Education from Michigan State University. She taught in the College of Human Ecology at Michigan State University for over 30 years, from 1951 to 1983. She served as Chairperson of the Department of Family and Child Science from 1967 to 1969, and again from 1970 to 1973. Paolucci was a guest lecturer at Texas Christian University and the University of Missouri, and held the Camilla Eyring Kimball Chair of Home and Family Life at Brigham Young University in 1983.
Paolucci wrote or co-wrote four books and numerous articles. She received many honors, including a 1968 MSU Distinguished Faculty Award, a 1981 Osbourne Teaching Award from the National Council of Family Relations, a 1975 Distinguished Alumni Award from Illinois Wesleyan University, and a 1981 Distinguished Faculty Women’s award from MSU.
Paolucci died of cancer on October 1, 1983 in Illinois. Following her death, Michigan State University changed the name of the Home Management Building to the Paolucci Building.
3.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged into nine series which are arranged alphabetically by subject, except the Writings and Recordings series which are arranged chronologically.
(1) MSU College of Human Ecology. 1964-1982, Undated This series includes course materials and lecture transcripts from classes Beatrice Paolucci taught in the College of Human Ecology. It also includes records regarding the reorganization and the name change the College underwent in the 1970s. The series also contains the College’s Databook from 1979, Dissertation/Thesis Committee materials, and committee reports.
(2) Michigan State University. 1973-2005. The Michigan State University series primarily contains materials from the 1985 Beatrice Paolucci Symposium. It also contains records and correspondence regarding Paolucci’s activities, salary, and possible retirement.
(3) Writings. 1958-1984, Undated
The Writings series contains drafts, revisions, and copies of published materials, including articles, books, and book chapters, and unpublished materials. Topics include home economics, single parent families, managing family resources, rural families, and young families.
(4) International Projects. 1961-1975.
The International Projects series includes materials from three separate projects: Nigeria, East Africa and Thailand. The purpose of the East Africa project was to study family planning and home economics in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. Materials from this project include proposals, correspondence, reports, and training materials. The Nigeria project’s purpose was to study decision-making in cross cultural settings. Only the proposal from this project is included in the series. Finally, the Thailand project looked at the role of rural Thai women in the national development of Thailand. Materials include correspondence, reports, and notes.
(5) Academics. 1968-2000.
This series contains materials from Paolucci’s work at other universities, including as a guest lecturer at Texas Christian University and the University of Missouri, and as the first Camilla Eyring Kimball Chair of Home and Family Life at Brigham Young University.
(6) Conferences. 1968-1983. This series contains various materials from conferences and workshops Paolucci attended or participated in, including agendas, notes, reports, correspondence, and presentations.
(7) Personal. 1962-2003. This series contains a variety of materials about Paolucci, including personal correspondence, awards and commendations, bibliographies, letters of condolence, obituaries, and her Curriculum Vitae.
(8) Photographs. 1985-2002, Undated This series includes photographs of Beatrice Paolucci, her sister Irene Hickey, and her grave marker, as well as the First, Second, and Fourth Beatrice Paolucci Symposiums at MSU.
(9) Recordings. 1976-1996, Undated
This series contains audio recordings on cassette of FE 331 lectures from the Fall 1976 semester, the Paolucci Symposiums, and other lectures. An undated video recording of an interview with Paolucci is also included.
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Brigham Young University
- Filmed interviews
- Home economics -- Congresses
- Home economics -- Study and teaching
- Human ecology -- Congresses
- Human ecology -- Study and teaching
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State University. College of Human Ecology
- Paolucci, Beatrice
- Sound recordings
- Texas Christian University
- University of Missouri--Columbia
- White House Conference on Children (Washington, D.C. : 1970)
- Paolucci, Beatrice (Person)
- Michigan State University. College of Human Ecology (Donor, Organization)
- Beatrice Paolucci Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- P. Vescio and M. Badgley
- March 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.