Herbert A. Berg papers
Scope and Content
This collections contains publications about the history of Michigan Agricultural College, the impact the U.S. Civil War had on agricultural extension in Michigan, the Morrill Land Grant College Act and life of Bela Hubbard, an Michigan pioneer. Also included in the Berg collection are the articles of incorporation and by-laws and some correspondence of the Michigan State University chapter of Epsilon Sigma Phi, the national honorary extension fraternity. There is a newspaper plate from the Genessee County Farm Accounting School. Photographs of buildings and people at Michigan State University, including cooperative extension activities and staff can also be found in Berg's papers.
- 1930 - 1969
- Berg, Herbert Andrew (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Herbert A. Berg was born May 9, 1899 to Andrew and Christine Berg in Riverside, Illinois. He earned his B.S.(1922) and M.S. (1925) from the University of Illinois and completed additional graduate work at Cornell University. He married Marjorie Smith.
He joined Michigan State College (now Michigan State University) in 1928 as a farm management specialist with the extension service. He was named assistant director of the extension service in 1944 which he held until his retirement in 1964.
He died July 14, 1971.
0.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Agricultural colleges -- Michigan
- Agricultural education -- Michigan
- Agricultural extension work
- Agricultural extension workers
- Case, Sarah Avery
- Epsilon Sigma Phi. Alpha Psi Chapter (Michigan State University)
- Hubbard, Bela, 1814-1896
- Land grants -- Michigan
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan Agricultural College
- Michigan State College. Cooperative Extension Service
- Michigan State University. Buildings
- Michigan State University. Cooperative Extension Service
- Smith, Clarence Beaman, 1870-1948
- State universities and colleges -- United States
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty
- Wilson, M. L. (Milburn Lincoln), 1885-1969
- Herbert A. Berg Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- E. Busch
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US