Skip to main content

Herbert A. Berg papers

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-17.93

Scope and Content

This collections contains publications about the history of Michigan Agricultural College, the impact the U.S. Civil War had on agricultural extension in Michigan, the Morrill Land Grant College Act and life of Bela Hubbard, an Michigan pioneer. Also included in the Berg collection are the articles of incorporation and by-laws and some correspondence of the Michigan State University chapter of Epsilon Sigma Phi, the national honorary extension fraternity. There is a newspaper plate from the Genessee County Farm Accounting School. Photographs of buildings and people at Michigan State University, including cooperative extension activities and staff can also be found in Berg's papers.

Dates

  • 1930 - 1969

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Biographical Note

Herbert A. Berg was born May 9, 1899 to Andrew and Christine Berg in Riverside, Illinois. He earned his B.S.(1922) and M.S. (1925) from the University of Illinois and completed additional graduate work at Cornell University. He married Marjorie Smith.

He joined Michigan State College (now Michigan State University) in 1928 as a farm management specialist with the extension service. He was named assistant director of the extension service in 1944 which he held until his retirement in 1964.

He died July 14, 1971.

Extent

0.25 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Title
Herbert A. Berg Papers
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
E. Busch
Date
2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330