Skip to main content

Carilon Carr collection

 Collection
Identifier: UA-10.3.377

Scope and Contents

The Carilon Carr collection contains twenty four dance cards from her time as a student at Michigan State College. The dance cards include J-Hops, the Spinster Spin sponsored by the Tower Guard, Mortar Board and Spartan Women's League; Mardi Gras dances sponsored by the Student Council, the Holiday Hop sponsored by Snyder- Philips Club; Engineers Balls sponsored by the Engineering Association and Engineering Council; the Bellhop sponsored by Sigma Gamma Upsilon and MSC Hotel Association; the Pan Hellenic and Interfraternity Council dances; the Coronation Ball sponsored by the Officers Club, the Skull Hop sponsored by Phi Kappa Sigma, the Varsity Ball Sponsored by the Varsity Club, as well as other dances. The dance cards list name of the band providing entertainment, committee members, patrons, and guests which were usually faculty members and their spouses.

Dates

  • 1947 - 1950

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Biographical Note

Carilon Hopperstead Carr attended Michigan State College majoring in Elementary Education. At MSC she met James Carr and they later married. James Carr was in the Navy and also practiced Civil Engineering, while Carilon managing the home. They had two sons who also attended MSU.

Extent

0.25 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

Gift of Carilon and James Carr.

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University.

Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Title
Carilon Car Collection
Status
3 Ready For Cataloging
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330