Skip to main content

Burt and Ila Wermuth papers

 Collection
Identifier: UA-10.3.430

Scope and Contents

The Burt and Ila Wermuth papers consist of materials related to the Wermuths' time in the Grange. Included are lectures given by the Wermuths and others, Grange bulletins, a copy of the October 1944 Michigan Patron, information on pageants, lectures and essays by various state of Michigan professors, an October 1950 Grange Master Address, radio talks, the Master Farmers of Michigan member list and history, as well as activity, games, and music suggestions. Also included is material related to their daughter Mary's time in 4-H clubs including certificates, club member reports, and enrollment forms. The collection also contains a Moral Rearmament brochure for a national assembly and the publication "New World News Presents a World Force a World Idea."

Dates

  • 1926-1973, Undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Biographical Note

Burt Wermuth (August 20, 1879-February 23, 1956) graduated from Michigan Agricultural College (M.A.C., now Michigan State University) in 1902. He helped found the Sigma Mu Beta Literary Society at M.A.C. On June 23, 1909, he married Katherine A. Stevenson. Together they had one daughter, Rosetta (Rosa) Jane Wermuth (August 21, 1917-January 10, 1993). Katherine died on March 20, 1934 after a brief illness. Wermuth married Ila Amelia Leonard on September 7, 1935 in Holly, Oakland County, Michigan. Together they had two children, Arthur Burt and Mary Louella. Wermuth was an editor of the Michigan Farmer and was a farmer. He died in 1956 and was buried in Highland Cemetery, Oakland County, Michigan.

Ila Amelia Cole was born February 23, 1899 to Myron E. Cole (1866-1939) and Louella Damode Cole (1877-1958). She attended college for two years. On September 14, 1921, she married Jonathan Clark Leonard (born December 9, 1896). On December 24, 1921, Leonard died of lobar pneumonia. In 1922, she became the women’s editor of Michigan Farmer, a position she held until 1940. On September 7, 1935, she married fellow editor Burt Wermuth. She also worked as a lecturer for the Michigan State Grange, and was owner of the Old Indian Campground (Rose Township, Michigan) from 1941 to 1981. Ila Wermuth was involved in numerous organizations including Women’s National Farm and Garden Association (past president of the Detroit branch), Women’s Advertising Association of Detroit (past president), Michigan Nutrition Council (chair), Order of the Eastern Star, Michigan Centennial Farm Association Board of Directors (vice president), and the Fenton United Methodist Church (secretary). Wermuth died June 4, 1981 in Flint, Michigan.

Extent

1 Cubic Feet (in two 0.5 cubic feet boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Legal Status

Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Processing Information

The material came in folders in binders containing material that was similar in nature ad overlapped (talks, bulletins, activity material). The archivist chose to leave the material grouped together and refolder it as it was originally donated rather than disassemble the folders and rearrange the contents of the folder. Thus, some of the material overlaps between folders.

Processing Information

Record group changed from 00263 to UA 10.3.430 to reflect Wermuth's connection to Michigan State University. M. Badgley-Malone, January 2023

Title
Burt and Ila Wermuth Papers
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
S. Roberts
Date
February 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330