Town Girls' Club records
Scope and Content
The records of the Town Girls’ Club comprise eight folders and span the years 1941-1951. The folders are arranged alphabetically by title. The Activity Sheets folder contains summaries of activities conducted by the Town Girls’ Club for academic years between 1943 and 1948. Some years list the officers as well as the activities. The Constitution folder contains four versions of the constitution for the Town Girls’ Club. One of the constitutions is dated 1943, the others are undated. The general Correspondence folder contains correspondence by university faculty about the Town Girls’ Club and their need to submit a copy of their constitution to the Student Council Board and the Faculty Committee on Student Organizations in order to continue functioning as an official club. The Wolverine Correspondence folder contains letters between the club and the Michigan State College yearbook as to what kind of representation the club would like in the yearbook. The Information Sheets folder contains surveys completed by members of the Town Girls’ Club and contains information about membership, officers, purpose, and finances.
The folder of Officer and Membership Lists contains two cards of officers from the 1947-48 and 1948-49 years and one hand written list of members from the Fall 1950 semester. The Record Book contains meeting minutes from 1942 through 1946. Also in the collection is a Miscellaneous folder which contains an introduction to the activities board of the Associated Women’s Students group, a list of rules and duties for members of the Town Girls’ Club, an initiation ceremony for when a new president of the club takes office, and two short newspaper clippings about the Town Girls’ Club.
- 1941 - 1951
- Michigan State College. Town Girls' Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Town Girls’ Club was created in the early 1940s with the goal of uniting women students who did not live in university housing. Membership was open to women who lived with relatives or friends in or near Lansing or East Lansing or who lived in any house not sponsored by the college. The club aimed at uniting the members in a closer bond of friendship and encouraged members to participate in campus activities. Some of the activities of the Town Girls’ Club were an annual tea for freshmen town girls, the Spinster’s Spin dance, and a co-ed carnival.
0.25 Cubic Feet (, 8 folders)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Town Girls' Club Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- P. Vescio
- March 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.