Nepal Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science Project records
Scope and Contents
The Nepal Project records contains end-of-tour reports from both short-term and long-term advisors of the program, and biannual progress reports on the development of the Institute of Agriculture and Animal Sciences (IAAS) from 1975 to 1983. There are also files about the advisors, participant trainees, and local employees. The files about the research projects contain final reports, proposals and progress information, administration and committee materials. The administration and financial material contains purchase orders and equipment requests, reimbursement vouchers, shipping information, equipment inventories and travel vouchers. Also included in the collection are materials from IAAS and Tribhuvan University, including student handbooks, course lists, laboratory manuals, and occasional papers.
- 1970, 1973, 1975-1985
- Michigan State University. Nepal Project (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Parts of the collection are restricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Michigan State University served as the lead university for the Midwest University Consortium for International Activities (MUCIA) in supporting the development of the Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science (IAAS) in Rampur, Nepal. Starting in 1975, MSU was responsible for the management of all facets of this AID-supported project whose overall goal was to increase agricultural production in Nepal by assisting the Government of Nepal’s Tribhuvan University in developing the IAAS so that Nepal could train workers to help fill needs in the agricultural sector.
Accomplishments of the project included the establishment of a baccalaureate program, development of extension programs and non-formal education programs, workshops and seminars for Nepalese students in the United States, and creation of cooperative working arrangements with farmers and with institutions in higher education in agriculture in the Philippines, India, and the U. S.
Key faculty from the departments of agricultural economics, agricultural education, anthropology, animal science, entomology, farm management, horticulture, nonformal education and rural development/sociology were represented in this project which ran until September 1984.
(Source: Horn, Nancy E., A Project History of Michigan State University's Participation in International Development 1951-1985, College of Education Records (UA 15.7), June 1985, pages 162-163.)
8 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Agriculture -- International cooperation
- Agriculture -- Study and teaching
- Business records
- Course materials
- Education, Higher -- International cooperation
- Education, Higher -- Nepal
- Letters (correspondence)
- Livestock -- Study and teaching
- Midwest Universities Consortium for International Activities
- Rural development -- International cooperation
- Tribhuvana Viśvavidyālaya. Institute of Agriculture and Animal Sciences
- United States. Agency for International Development
- Michigan State University. Office of International Studies and Programs (Donor, Organization)
- Nepal Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science Project records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- A. Texel
- June 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US