Skip to main content

Child Development Laboratories/Spartan Cooperative Nursery School records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-16.173

Scope and Contents

This collection contains press clippings, photographs, correspondence and publications from the history of the Child Development Laboratories. There are also materials dealing with the history of the Laboratory Preschool and Spartan Cooperative Nursery School and the purchase and renovation of the Central School building to house the two programs. The photographs consist of scrapbooks with early shots of the Spartan Nursery School as well as well as the Child Development Laboratories. Also included are blueprints of the Spartan Nursery School from 1948.

Dates

  • 1928 - 2003

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

The Child Development Laboratories are administered by the Department of Family and Child Ecology at Michigan State University (MSU). They allow MSU students to observe and participate in early childhood learning activities. The Child Development Laboratories consist of several preschool programs, two of which preceded the creation of the Child Development Laboratories. The College Nursery School opened in June 1927 and operated in various buildings on campus. Its name was changed to the Laboratory Preschool in 1955. The Spartan Cooperative Nursery School was opened in 1948 to accommodate veteran students’ families and was located in two Quonset huts near the Munn Ice Arena. In this program, parents paid reduced fees in exchange for participating in the preschool. The Spartan Nursery School received funds from the Head Start Program in the 1960s and trained teachers for the program. The two facilities were united as the Child Development Laboratories and both moved to the Central School Building in East Lansing in 1988. A second campus opened in 2004 through collaboration with Haslett Public Schools and Head Start.

Extent

2 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Legal Status

Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Title
Child Development Laboratories / Spartan Cooperative Nursery School Records
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
D. Palazzola
Date
February 2006
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330