Scope and Contents
This collection contains speeches, instructions, invitations, exercises, correspondence, minutes and duplicate programs.
- 1862 - 2010
- Majority of material found within 1862 - 1981
- Washington, Booker T., 1856-1915 (Person)
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 (Person)
- Bailey, L. H. (Liberty Hyde), 1858-1954 (Person)
- Boynton, Nehemiah, 1856-1933 (Person)
- Muelder, Milton E. (Person)
- Hannah, John A., 1902-1991 (Person)
- Michigan State University (Organization)
- Romney, George W., 1907-1995 (Person)
- MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964 (Person)
- Barkley, Alben William, 1877-1956 (Person)
- Lilienthal, David Eli, 1899-1981 (Person)
- Rockefeller, Nelson A. (Nelson Aldrich), 1908-1979 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Commencements at Michigan State University were held annually through 1950. Early in the school’s history, they were held in the late fall, but by 1900 they had shifted to the spring. There were two ceremonies in 1951 (spring and fall) and three per year since (winter, spring, and fall).
3 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Gift of Madison Kuhn. Other materials transferred by the Office of the Provost.
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
The first copy of the programs is treated as a serial publication.
This collection is an artificially created record group. This was necessary due to the high reference use of the material and because responsibility for commencements has shifted from unit to unit including the Provost's Office, University Services, and Academic Services.
- Commencement Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Wm. McDaid and R. Harms
- October 1978
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US