Clarence H. Judson papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists primarily of Clarence Judson's letters to his family, written during his years at Michigan Agricultural College. The letters describe his classes, activities, and financial situation, his experiences as a teacher during school breaks, the class strike of 1886, and a visit to the Capitol in Lansing. The collection also includes an autobiography, family history materials, genealogical charts, school records, diaries from 1888 to 1902, and a notebook Judson kept while working on the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad.
- 1874 - 2001
- Judson, Clarence Herbert (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Clarence H. Judson (1866-1956) enrolled at Michigan Agricultural College in 1883 at the age of sixteen, and received his B.S. in 1886. After graduating from college, Judson taught school in Ohio for a short time, and worked as a surveyor and an engineer, before taking a job with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad. In 1888 he went to work for the New York Central Railroad, remaining with the company until 1937. He married Zella Rydman in 1889. They had one child, Everett. Zella died in 1911. Judson was remarried to Irene Avery in 1913. They had two children, Mary and Clarence Jr. Clarence Sr. died in 1956.
0.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Gifts of Jeanne Judson Prentice and Mary Lou Judson Clarey.
Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Education -- Michigan
- Education -- Ohio
- Family histories
- Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway -- Chronological subdivision--1886-1888.;
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan Agricultural College
- Michigan State University. Class of 1886
- New York Central Railroad Company -- Chronological subdivision--1888-1937.;
- Railroads -- Michigan
- Railroads -- New York (State)
- Student activities -- Michigan
- Students -- Recreation
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae
- Clarence H. Judson Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- A. Fairchild
- November 1989
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US