Political Science Department records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains program brochures, newsletters, reports, syllabi, and year-end summaries. Also included is “Political Science Department at MSU 1949-1973: Commentary and Documents” by Alan P. Grimes, 1986.
- 1951 - 2011
- Majority of material found within 1951 - 1986
- Michigan State University. Political Science Department (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research except for restricted materials.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Classes in politics were first taught as political economy classes at Michigan State University starting in 1858. In 1875, the Department of Political Economy was created. In 1883, it merged with the history department to become the Department of History and Political Economy. In 1899, the Department of Economics and Political Science was created. In 1908, the department changed to history and economics with the political science classes being taught in that department. In 1916, the name changed to history and political science. In 1949, the Political Science and Public Administration Department was created within the School of Business and Public Service. In 1962, the Political Science Department became administered by the College of Social Science.
3 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Grimes, Alan Pendleton, 1919-2008 (Donor, Person)
- Kuhn, Madison, 1910-1985 (Donor, Person)
- Press, Charles, 1922- (Donor, Person)
- Michigan State University. Political Science Department (Donor, Organization)
- Political Science Department Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US