Jack Heppinstall papers
Scope and Contents
The Jack Heppinstall collection contain papers related to Heppinstall’s career as an athletic trainer at Michigan State University. There are inventories of athletic equipment and training supplies. There are also class notes, including menus for a Detroit Lions training camp, and exams on athletic training. There is a list of "Famous Firsts" in Physical Education and Athletics distributed to department staff by Ralph Young in 1954. The First Aider newsletter contains articles written by Heppinstall. Articles about Heppinstall can be found in the MSU Reporter and the 1957 Kansas State vs. Michigan State football program. The collection also contains documents relating to the National Athletic Trainers’ Association and transcripts of radio talks given by Heppinstall. Photographs of MSU sports teams and the Varsity Club are also a part of the collection.
- 1914 - 1966
- Heppinstall, Jack (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
John G. (Jack) Heppinstall was born in Durham County, England. Heppinstall was hired by Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) in 1914 as the first full-time athletic trainer. He was also in charge of the athletic equipment, the athletic fields, the bath house and the armory. Heppinstall learned about bandaging and muscle massage as an apprentice in his native England.
He was a member of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association and served as president in 1939. He worked as a trainer for the 1948 United States Olympic team. Heppinstall was one of the best-known athletic trainers in the country. Heppinstall worked at MSU for 45 years before retiring.
0.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Athletic trainers -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Athletics -- Equipment and supplies
- Course materials
- Detroit Lions (Football team)
- Heppinstall, Jack
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State Spartans (Football team)
- Michigan State University. Athletics. Baseball
- Michigan State University. Buildings. Jenison Field House
- Michigan State University. Department of Intercollegiate Athletics -- Form subdivision-- Photographs.; General subdivision--Track;
- Michigan State University. Spartan Stadium
- Michigan State University. Varsity Alumni 'S' Club
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- Physical education and training
- Smith, Gideon E.
- Sports facilities
- Sports medicine
- Sports medicine -- Study and teaching
- Bielat, Larry (Donor, Person)
- Jack Heppinstall Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- P. Vescio
- December 2003
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US