Clarence H. Suelter collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains information about different science programs at Michigan State University compiled by Suelter. Some of the materials are photocopies. There is substantial information relating to Robert C. Kedzie, as well as historical overviews of many natural science programs.
Also included are an exhibit catalog for Sesquicentennial Celebration: The Natural Sciences at Michigan State University, 1855-2005 which Suelter created and Division of Mathematics and Science Education: Timeline for Development also written by Suelter.
The electronic resources consists of a 750 page document detailing the history of the Michigan State University Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from 1961 to 2011, authored by Suelter; a PDF document with images and text overviewing Suelter's career and published works; and a book on the history of the College of Natural Science as well as images and other materials used in it.
The Science at MSU: 1855-2005 Oral History Project series consists of consent agreements, transcripts, and audio cassette recordings of interviews with MSU professors.
- 1876 - 2014
- Suelter, Clarence H., 1928- (Donor, Person)
- Delgado, Jeanne (Author, Person)
- Kedzie, R. C. (Robert Clark), 1823-1902 (Author, Person)
- Parsons, Gary L. (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Clarence H. Suelter earned his B.S. (1951) and M.S. (1953) from Kansas State University and his Ph.D. (1959) from Iowa State University. He served in the U.S. Air Force (1954-1956). He joined the faculty at Michigan State University as an assistant professor in the biochemistry department in September 1961. Suelter was noted for his contributions to biochemistry and the field of enzymology. He was a dedicated science educator. During his academic career, Suelter was awarded with the Distinguished Faculty Award and the State of Michigan Teaching Excellence Award. He retired as professor emeritus in 1994. He is the author of A History of the College of Natural Science, Michigan State University, 1855-2005.
1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Preservica Public URL
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Biochemistry -- Study and teaching
- Family histories
- Gale, Ella M
- Kedzie, R. C. (Robert Clark), 1823-1902
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State University. Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Michigan State University. Department of Botany and Plant Pathology
- Michigan State University. Department of Chemistry
- Michigan State University. Department of Entomology
- Michigan State University. Department of Physiology
- Michigan State University. Herbarium
- Michigan State University. History -- Chronological subdivision--20th Century.;
- National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (U.S.)
- Natural history -- Study and teaching
- Oral histories
- Science -- Study and teaching (Higher)
- Suelter, Clarence H., 1928-
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty
- Clarence H. Suelter Collection
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- D. Palazzola
- March 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.