Department of History records
Scope and Contents
The records contain notes and outlines from various history classes, student manuals and course descriptions. Also included is the newsletter African American Voices in: The Academy for 1991-1994. In addition there are course packs from History 320: Michigan History from 1985 to 1993, as well as a program from the 1857 dedication of Michigan Agricultural College.
- 1857, 1932- 2008, undated
- Majority of material found within 1932 - 2008
- Michigan State University. Department of History (Donor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
History classes have been taught since 1861 when history classes were first taught to freshman. In 1875 the History department was created. In 1883 it merged with the political economy department to become the Department of History and Political Economy. In 1899 History separated and became its own department. In 1908 the department changed to History and Economics and in then in 1916 History merged with Political Science to become the Department of History and Political Science. In 1949 History once again became its own department. In 2005 administration of the department changed from the College of Arts and Letters to the College of Social Science.
1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University
Property Rights: Michigan State University
- student files and faculty position files in boxes 541, 542, and 543
- Department of History Records
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- M. Louzon
- February 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.