Alumni Memorial Chapel records
Scope and Contents
The Alumni Memorial Chapel records contain newspaper clippings and manuscripts on the history of the chapel, bids and information seeking a new organ in the early 1990s, brochures, a proposal to fix the chapel’s stained glass windows, and projects that the United States Armed Forces Alumni Association of Michigan State University undertook to update and repair the chapel. There are lists of the MSU veterans who died during service which appear on the walls of the Alumni Memorial Chapel. Also included is a booklet of the dedication of the chapel, including photographs, and transcripts of the speakers, Rabbi Alfred Friedman, Harry D. Baker, Harold Grasser, MSU President John Hannah, Reverend C. Brandt Tefft, and Reverend Father Jerome MacEachin.
- 1952 - 2008
- Michigan State University. Alumni Memorial Chapel (Organization)
- Baker, Harry D. (Speaker, Person)
- Friedman, Alfred L., Rabbi (Speaker, Person)
- Hannah, John A., 1902-1991 (Speaker, Person)
- MacEachin, Jerome, Reverend Father (1904-1987) (Speaker, Person)
- Tefft, C. Brandt, the Reverend (Speaker, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Alumni Memorial Chapel was dedicated by President Hannah on June 7th, 1952 in honor of the approximately 6,800 alumni wartime veterans and 427 victims since the Civil War until World War II. Various stones from European bombed cathedrals, a synagogue, and the White House were set into the walls of the narthex, nave, and chancel. The chapel serves as an interdenominational spiritual gathering place available exclusively for MSU alumni, students, faculty, staff, and their immediate families and seats 190 people. The stained windows depict historical events important to MSU as well as the names of some who perished in war.
0.3 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Chapels -- Michigan
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State University. Alumni Memorial Chapel
- Michigan State University. Alumni and alumnae
- Organ (Musical instrument) -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Programs (Publications)
- Soldiers -- United States
- War memorials
- Alumni Memorial Chapel Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- T. Koenigsknecht
- January 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US