Ray A. Turner papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the newsletter from the U.S. Agriculture Director of Extension Work that announces Ray A. Turner’s retirement in 1951. There are photos of Turner receiving awards, the building named in his honor, in Washington D.C. and of the Marine Corp band. It also contains the booklet “From a Dream to Reality: A History of the National 4-H Service Committee 1921-1971.
There are three bound volumes of letters of congratulations on Turner’s retirement from his colleagues, including a letter from John Hannah, President of Michigan State University. These letters started to arrive in 1950 when he announced his retirement through 1952, shortly after his retirement on September 30, 1951. Also included in the collection is Turner’s unpublished thesis entitled; A Study of County and State Programs of Work Boys’ and Girls’ Club Work. Turner’s Michigan State College Centennial Award for distinguished services is also part of this collection.
- 1924 - 1985
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Ray A. Turner graduated in 1909 from Michigan Agricultural College. Turner devoted 36 years of service to the 4-H boys’ and girls’ club. He became the first county club agent of Hillsdale County, Michigan in March 1915. In September 1918 he was made Michigan State club leader, and in June 1924 he joined the ranks of the Federal Extension Service staff. There he was the field agent for the Central States, and remained until his retirement.
During his long career with 4-H, Turner accomplished many things. He was one of the organizers of the first National 4-H camp. Turner’s major responsibility was the organization of the State 4-H Club leaders’ conference held at each national encampment. He served on the staff of 27 national encampments.
In 1930 Turner, then with the Federal National 4-H Extension Service, arranged the music hour which aired monthly on the National 4-H Radio Program. The United States Marine Corp. Band played music on a selected theme during the broadcast.1 This program aired through 1940.
After World War I, Turner and his colleagues gave aid to foreign clubs to promote youth activity in agriculture. One country he worked with was Latvia. For his efforts he was awarded the “Order of the Stars”; the highest civil order conferred by Latvia.1
Another notable achievement of Turner’s was his appointment in 1928 as chairman of the National 4-H Contests and Awards.1
1Reck, Franklin, M; The 4-H Story; A History of the 4-H Club Work, The Iowa State College Press, Ames, IA pg 217
0.4 Cubic Feet (, 8 folders)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University
Property Rights: Michigan State University
- Michigan 4-H Foundation (Donor, Organization)
- Ray A. Turner Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- D. Gouin
- September 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US