Eclectic Literary Society records
Scope and Contents
The three ledgers contain accounting information for the Eclectic Society from 1917-1929. There is information about the society's house, its members, its social events, and the café it ran.
The folders contain a social activity program, information on a proposed building for the society, stockholders in the society, society directories, copies of their newsletter, The Tic, from 1894, 1915, 1921 and 1924.
- 1916 - 1929
- Michigan Agricultural College. Eclectic Literary Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The second literary society at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University), the Eclectic Literary Society was founded in 1877. Activities were both literary and social. Around 1885,they became the Eclectic Society and sat on the Interfraternity Council and actively participated in Greek life, hosting banquets and organizing plays. In 1940, they became the Epsilon Eta Chapter of Alpha Tau Omega, a social fraternity.
0.5 Cubic Feet (4 folders, 3 ledgers)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Alpha Tau Omega. Epsilon Eta Chapter (Michigan State University)
- College students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- College students -- Societies and clubs
- Greek letter societies -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Ledgers (account books)
- Michigan Agricultural College. Eclectic Literary Society
- Michigan Agricultural College. Students. Societies, etc
- Michigan State College. Students. Societies, etc
- Programs (Publications)
- Eclectic Literary Society Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- M. Louzon
- September 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.